Have you ever wondered what is the purpose of following health, safety and security procedures in a business environment?
In today’s world, it is very important for businesses to follow health, safety and security procedures. This is both for the benefit of their employees, as well as the customers and the visitors.
Irrespective of the nature of work carried out, there is always the danger of an unwanted accident to occur, which can cause damage to someone physically and/or mentally.
Implementing and following the proper measures and rules, not only protects the employees and customers of the business, but can also save the management and the company if the grieved party decides to sue them.
It all starts from installing the right physical security systems such as access control systems and CCTV systems which can monitor activities all round the clock. Installing a security system in the business premises isn’t as expensive as before too simply because they are far more reliable than thought.
Here, we will explain the purpose of following health, safety and security procedures in a business environment.
Following Health, Safety And Security Procedures In A Business Environment
It is better to be safe than sorry-
The reason why accidents occur so often in within a workplace is because procedures have not been properly followed. Have a look at the following statistics below to understand the far reaching impacts that a lackadaisical approach in these cases can have:
- In spite of all the measures takes, every year, 6,40,000 injuries happen at the workplace in the U.K.
- 1.8 million people have fallen sick or suffered a deterioration of health.
- Several working days are lost when the health of employees suffer. In 2011-12, 27 million working days were wasted due to the fact that employees were unwell
Why must these procedures be implemented?
A sound, socially and morally conscious business should implement the right health, safety and security procedures, since:
- It shows that the business cares about the well being of its employees.
- It follows the guidelines and instructions made mandatory by the government.
- It is required by the insurance of the company.
When this happens, the workers come to work regularly, which means training and replacement costs get minimised, it lowers the workers’ compensation insurance premiums and the employees are motivated to give their best when they see the company taking their health and well-being seriously.
The Importance Of Physical Security Procedures
Business offices can be the targets for thefts, fraud and unlawful entry. As such, having the right security procedures in place can create physical and psychological barriers to keep such threats away.
A comprehensive crime assessment must be carried out that points out potential targets and whether the resources are available to take care of such problems. To ensure that the employees feel safe and protected, there are several actions that can be undertaken in a business:
- Key-card access systems must be installed at all the main entrances to restrict who comes in and out of the premises.
- Master and other spare keys must be safely locked away in the security office.
- CCTV cameras must be installed, along with intercoms and closed circuit monitoring devices, to keep a watch on the visitors 24/7.
- A crisis communication mechanism must be developed among the important personnel and security office.
- A backup communication system must be in place if the phone fails.
- Even the personal details of the employees, customers and the company must be protected with the highest level of security that can be afforded.
As well as all of the above, real time location systems (RTLS) indoor and outdoor positioning systems could be installed to track the location of the employees, and keep them safe.
The Importance Of Health Procedures
All good companies are sure to have one thing in common and that is a healthy and happy workforce. A healthy employee will be performing at their peak, whilst keeping their creativity level at its best. That is why health procedures play such an important role.
There are several ways in which an organisation can take care of its employees health:
- Conducting regular health and dental check-ups for the employees.
- Ensuring that proper hygiene standards are met in the cafeteria where the employees sit out and eat.
- Drinking water must be clean and all the necessary steps must be taken to prevent any sort of contamination.
- In case of any outbreak the employees must be informed and educated on how to take care of themselves.
Not having health procedures in place could result in a tremendously negative impact on both the individual themselves, and the business directly. It could result in the company losing out on money, clients, vendors, workers, productivity and respect. Although your insurances could help bring down the costs, being negligent could increase those costs. Having a proper health program in place and slowly diluting it into the company’s infrastructure is nothing less than a blessing.
The Importance Of Safety Procedures
Safety procedures can help educate the employees about the different kinds of hazards which they are exposed to in the workplace, as well as limit the level of violence in the offices. It creates a sense of security and helps the employees concentrate on their jobs knowing that the company has their backs should something go amiss.
Here are some of the safety procedures needed at workplace:
At work, people deal with several different hazardous things. They might be aware of some and unaware of the others.
- The employees must be given clear instructions on how to handle the different chemicals.
- While working at an elevated level or structure, the employee must be briefed and trained on keeping himself safe and staying away from falling off.
- While lifting and moving heavy objects, physical harm is likely to happen. So procedures must be implemented it prevent it from happening.
- There must be procedures to keep the employees safe while working in slippery conditions where they are likely to trip and fall.
- It is advisable to have a set of procedures to be followed when the employees are installing, removing or repairing electrical equipment.
- All combustible substances must be recognised and an emergency escape route must be planned and designed to guide the employees to safety in case of a fire outbreak.
The examples listed above demonstrate just how having safety procedures in place can help prevent unpleasant incidents, keep the employees safe, and help the company reach a new pinnacle of success – thanks to the motivation and a sense of ownership that these procedures give to the employees.
The employees are happier, absenteeism declines and business costs and disruptions are kept to a minimum.
Health, safety and security procedures, together, create a comprehensive system that takes care of the overall health, physical, mental and emotional well-being of the employees, customers and vendors. It helps the organisation create a win-win situation.